[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30778: Extend WP_Query to allow for querys of posts with attachments with certain metadata

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 19 11:32:29 UTC 2014

#30778: Extend WP_Query to allow for querys of posts with attachments with certain
metadata
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  pampfelimetten  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |     Status:  new
Component:  Query           |    Version:  4.1
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                  |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Currently, if you want to find posts with attachments with certain meta
 data, you have to use two different queries. One for all the attachments
 with the right metadata, then collect the parent Ids, and a second query
 where you set the 'post__in' argument.

 This works, but it is clumsy to solve this in php. It would be great if
 you could set off something like:

 {{{
 $args['post_type'] = 'post';
 $args['post_status'] = 'publish';
 $args['s'] = 'searchtext';
 $args['child_query']['post_type'] = 'attachment';
 $args['child_query']['post_status'] = 'inherit';
 $args['child_query']['posts_per_page'] = '-1';
 $args['child_query']['post_mime_type'] = 'audio';
 }}}

 This way, you could easily query for posts with certain attachment meta
 data, for example for a post with mp3s with a bitrate higher than 128kb.
 Take a look at our site if you want to see a real life use case:
 http://cba.fro.at/search

 Our users can set off quite complex querys with multiple metadata
 specification, some of which is saved as metadata of posts, some of which
 is saved as metadata of attachments of these posts. But us I said, we have
 to split it into two queries at the moment.