[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29561: In Firefox, scroll bar jumps to beginning/end of editor upon page up/down when focused

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 18 19:54:47 UTC 2014

#29561: In Firefox, scroll bar jumps to beginning/end of editor upon page up/down
when focused
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  AmbushCommander  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  new

Comment (by AmbushCommander):

 I don't own a Mac, so I can't really do the test there. I'm just using the
 standard PgUp/PgDn keys that come on Windows/Linux keyboards. Maybe you
 can reproduce if you plug in a standard USB keyboard? I did verify that
 the bug DOES NOT occur on Chrome on Ubuntu Linux.

 > I don't think the cursor position should change. Think about this as
 scrolling; the cursor position doesn't change. So this sounds like the
 expected behaviour.

 The metric I'm applying is consistency with native UI elements. I don't
 know if the behavior is different on a Mac (but I don't think it is), but
 when I press PgUp/PgDown in a text box on Firefox and Chrome, the cursor
 moves. Same applies for basically any text editor you might possibly use
 (e.g. Emacs, Vim, Gedit...) So if the visual editor is just "one giant
 glorified text box", then the same behavior should apply. If it doesn't,
 you should have a good reason...

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29561#comment:5>