[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30615: Flat Taxonomy Terms are idenfied via their slugs and not their names, when saved from thePost Edit Screen

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Dec 6 15:25:24 UTC 2014

#30615: Flat Taxonomy Terms are idenfied via their slugs and not their names, when
saved from thePost Edit Screen
 Reporter:  ArminBraun    |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 Hi,

 Armin here from the WPML development team. I came around this issue when a
 client complained about some of his flat terms getting automatically
 translated to the wrong language when he attached them to posts via the
 post-edit screen.

 In actuality though I think this is a bug in WordPress itself and can be
 reproduced as such:

 1. Create a tag named 'foo', but with slug 'bar'.
 2. Create a tag named 'bar', but with slug 'foo'.
 3. Go to the post edit screen and try to attach the tag 'bar' to a post.
 4. After you hit the 'Update', instead of 'bar', 'foo' will be added to
 the post.

 Video demo:
 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tzrh7EeW30QzFucVc4SDlTLWs/view?usp=sharing

 I don't think this is right obviously.
 I do understand the complication involved here though, since it is
 possible to have the same flat term name, used by multiple terms in it's
 taxonomy, just by using different slugs.
 Still I think in any case, even without handling the ambiguous case of
 duplicate term names, it would be the right way to go, to use the term
 name to identify flat terms added from the post edit screen right?