[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29431: Brand new auto-drafts with no title or content inserted into database with ugly URL

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 29 15:56:32 UTC 2014

#29431: Brand new auto-drafts with no title or content inserted into database with
ugly URL
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  henry.wright       |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new
Description changed by SergeyBiryukov:

Old description:

> My posts can be accessed by ID. For example example.com/176
>
> If I select Pages > Add new then wait for a few moments without typing a
> title or content, a row gets written to the database. I can see
> {{{post_title}}} is Auto Draft, {{{post_status}}} is auto-draft.
>
> Let's say that page's ID is 177. If I now try to go to example.com/177 I
> get redirected to an ugly URL such as example.com/?page_id=252 and shown
> a 404 message.
>
> 1) Should brand new completely empty auto-draft posts be written to the
> database?
>
> 2) Is there a need to redirect to the ugly URL? i.e. why can't the 404
> message be shown at example.com/177

New description:

 My posts can be accessed by ID. For example example.com/176

 If I select Pages > Add new then wait for a few moments without typing a
 title or content, a row gets written to the database. I can see
 {{{post_title}}} is Auto Draft, {{{post_status}}} is auto-draft.

 Let's say that page's ID is 177. If I now try to go to example.com/177 I
 get redirected to an ugly URL such as example.com/?page_id=177 and shown a

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29431#comment:4>