[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29415: $sites global (containing all networks) no longer exists, with no replacement

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 28 10:22:26 UTC 2014

#29415: $sites global (containing all networks) no longer exists, with no
replacement
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  rmccue              |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement         |     Status:  new
Component:  Networks and Sites  |    Version:  3.9
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  multisite           |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 #27003 removed the `$sites` global containing an array of networks on the
 installation. This broke the `switch_to_network` functionality of
 [https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-multi-network/ WP Multi Network], as it
 expected this variable to be set.

 Given that we've gone almost a whole release without anyone missing it, I
 think it's fine to leave it gone forever. That said, there appears to be
 no replacement to get all networks.

 We should add a `wp_get_networks`, and it should also cache this result.
 `wp_get_network` could then be adapted to take advantage of this cache if
 it exists.

 Related: #29411