[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29221: new wp_maybe_auto_update behavior can cause problems with large number of installs

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Aug 16 03:35:53 UTC 2014

#29221: new wp_maybe_auto_update behavior can cause problems with large number of
installs
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  growlingoctopus  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  new

Comment (by nacin):

 [26149] made this a bit better. It was originally scheduled for exactly
 7am and 7pm, which in hindsight was quite a mistake. It's now spread out
 over the full hour, from 7-8.

 [28129] made some further changes by making it so the randomly scheduled
 twice-daily update checks could also trigger an auto update. This means
 that we now could trigger an update before the next 7-8 window, if there's
 a core check already scheduled during that time.

 A lot of sites definitely don't have a timezone configured, and it's
 surely the most popular, but our API traffic network graphs suggests it's
 definitely not most sites.

 You'll note that [28129] is actually for narrowing the update window.
 Eventually we'd like to be able to perform all updates in under an hour,
 globally. While we know we can handle that traffic on .org (and we've made
 quite a lot of adjustments to do so), the worry is of course causing
 shared host problems. Because we have the ability to narrow the update
 window, I'd be perhaps OK with ditching the 7-8 window and going fully
 random, but it doesn't help all that much with our long-term goals.

 The wp_delete_attachment() part is definitely interesting. We could
 schedule that for a random amount of time between 2 and X hours without
 much of an issue.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29221#comment:2>