[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29197: Introduce WP_Customize_Container, and have both WP_Customize_Panel and WP_Customize_Section extend it (rather than WP_Customize_Panel extending section)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Aug 12 18:27:06 UTC 2014

#29197: Introduce WP_Customize_Container, and have both WP_Customize_Panel and
WP_Customize_Section extend it (rather than WP_Customize_Panel extending
section)
------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |     Status:  new
Component:  Customize         |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:  has-patch
  Focuses:                    |
 Continuing on from #28979 and #27406, we need to punt this from 4.0 as
 it's too involved to change now. As a result, we're temporarily marking
 `WP_Customize_Panel` as final until we can implement it.

 Full explanations of this are on #28979, but the gist is: Panels are not
 Sections (implied by the current implementation), Panels and Sections are
 both containers. Now that we have WP_Customize_Manager:containers() (used
 for mixed top-level section/panel sorting), we have containers, but not
 really. This change will allow us to open up WP_Customize_Panel to be
 extended like everything else in the Customizer can be.