[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28907: media_handle_upload calls wp_read_image_metadata on video files, causing errors and timeouts.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Aug 12 02:10:31 UTC 2014

#28907: media_handle_upload calls wp_read_image_metadata on video files, causing
errors and timeouts.
 Reporter:  slangley      |       Owner:

Comment (by aidanlane):

 Thanks '''slangley''' or for filing this bug report and to
 '''SergeyBiryukov''' and '''jrf''' handling this, as I was the one that
 had the original issue (http://wordpress.org/support/topic/large-uploads-
 die-with-503-service-unavailable).

 However, I wonder if just checking if 'not video' is enough? We use
 WordPress to host ZIP archives also (for interactives), which seems to be
 'natively' supported as an 'archive' (e.g. with wp-
 includes/images/media/archive.png). Should ZIP archives also be be
 downloaded and have it's image dimensions evaluated?
 Is it too dangerous just to check if the $type is some form of image?

 Thanks again for all your help!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/28907#comment:3>