[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25786: Using custom_fields with wp.newPost does not add meta on clean WordPress installs.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 31 23:52:06 UTC 2013

#25786: Using custom_fields with wp.newPost does not add meta on clean WordPress
installs.
--------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  timgws        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed

Comment (by timgws):

 Although I can see the potential, it still does not resolve the facts
 that:

 1. The documentation states that I can use wp.newPost
 (http://codex.wordpress.org/XML-RPC_WordPress_API/Posts#Parameters_3) to
 add custom_fields. It does not say that "protected" custom fields can not
 be added using the XML-RPC. No failure is returned in the response to say
 that custom fields were completely '''ignored'''.
 2. Plugins that run hooks when a new post is inserted add meta data when
 using the WordPress admin interface, but not the XML-RPC interface.
 3. Using register_meta() will require additional plugins to be installed
 inside WordPress in able to use WordPress' API efficiently.

 I don't see how it should be a requirement to install a plugin and/or
 modify WordPress code in order to be able to add meta data to a WordPress
 post, seeing as it is something that ships in core.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25786#comment:2>