[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25792: update notifier silently fails- states incorrectly that core, themes, and plugins are up-to-date

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 31 19:46:01 UTC 2013

#25792: update notifier silently fails- states incorrectly that core, themes, and
plugins are up-to-date
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  wordpressmike    |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |    Version:  3.7.1
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 One of my Wordpress installs running WP 3.6.1 did not notify me of
 available WP core, theme, and plugin updates. Ultimately this was due to a
 DNS issue that was not reported by Wordpress.

 I would repeatedly go to /wp-admin/update-core.php and it would say I have
 the latest versions.

 I thought maybe I had a corrupt install, so I manually updated to 3.7 and
 then manually updated to 3.7.1- These updates did not cure the problem.

 I looked at my debug logs and they contained the following not-very-
 helpful errors, pointing to lines 112, 259, and 299 of wp-
 includes/update.php:

 {{{

 [Thu Oct 31 15:14:08 2013] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning:  An
 unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or
 this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems,
 please try the <a href="http://wordpress.org/support/">support forums</a>.
 (WordPress could not establish a secure connection to WordPress.org.
 Please contact your server administrator.) in /var/www/html/wp-
 includes/update.php on line 112, referer: http://mysite.com/
 [Thu Oct 31 15:14:14 2013] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning:  An
 unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or
 this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems,
 please try the <a href="http://wordpress.org/support/">support forums</a>.
 (WordPress could not establish a secure connection to WordPress.org.
 Please contact your server administrator.) in /var/www/html/wp-
 includes/update.php on line 259, referer: http://mysite.com/
 [Thu Oct 31 15:14:20 2013] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning:  An
 unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or
 this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems,
 please try the <a href="http://wordpress.org/support/">support forums</a>.
 (WordPress could not establish a secure connection to WordPress.org.
 Please contact your server administrator.) in /var/www/html/wp-
 includes/update.php on line 399, referer: http://mysite.com/
 }}}

 So two bugs- '''first''' is the silent fail of the updater GUI and
 '''second''' is the unhelpful error produced in the logs.

 The error produced in line 399 is triggered based on the following if
 statement (where $raw_response = wp_remote_post( $url, $options )):

 {{{
 if ( $ssl && is_wp_error( $raw_response ) )
 }}}
    so I modified line 399 to output the relevant variables according to
 the following:

 {{{
         trigger_error( __($url . ' is url. ssl is ' . $ssl . 'raw response
 is ' . $raw_response->get_error_message()  . ' An unexpected error
 occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or this server’s
 configuration. If you continue to have problems, please try the <a
 href="http://wordpress.org/support/">support forums</a>.' ) . ' ' .
 '(WordPress could not establish a secure connection to WordPress.org.
 Please contact your server administrator.)', headers_sent() || WP_DEBUG ?
 E_USER_WARNING : E_USER_NOTICE );
 }}}

 It turned out that the nslookup was failing in attempting to connect to
 the URL https://api.wordpress.org/themes/update-check/1.1/

 I've fixed the nslookup issue on my end but would appreciate it if the
 error messaging, both in the debug log and the GUI were improved so users
 don't falsely think that updates aren't available.

 At the minimum, the $raw_response->get_error_message() should be output as
 well as the $url that is being contacted.