[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25644: strip_shortcodes always removes text between shortcode tags, should be optional

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Oct 20 22:58:56 UTC 2013

#25644: strip_shortcodes always removes text between shortcode tags, should be
optional
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  jonscaife    |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by gMagicScott):

 I agree that there are many shortcodes that leave content distorted when
 totally removed, but I think the interest in modifying how shortcodes are
 removed is more an interest of the plugin/theme that ''provides'' the
 shortcode, than whoever calls `strip_shortcodes()`

 A better solution may be to add a filter to the return value of
 `strip_shortcode_tag()`. Individual plugins and themes can then manage the
 output, knowing the desired result is to remove it.

 Patch attached (strip_shortcodes.1.diff), or on
 [https://github.com/gMagicScott/WordPress/commit/0d14c9a5212d53a374c8ef40b8bd33db7c5cf5ae
 GitHub]

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25644#comment:2>