[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25330: Twenty Fourteen: Filter the home page posts and remove post formatted posts that are visible in the ephemera widgets

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 8 21:53:16 UTC 2013

#25330: Twenty Fourteen: Filter the home page posts and remove post formatted posts
that are visible in the ephemera widgets
-------------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  iamtakashi               |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  new

Comment (by kraftbj):

 My last pitch for a possible change in thought, using myself as the test
 case.

 On http://bjk.staging.wpengine.com currently (at r25639 with .2 patch
 applied), I took a stream of image posts in one day. The latest one is in
 the widget, which happens to be at the bottom of the right sidebar.

 The first two posts in the "main" area are the 2nd and 3rd most recent
 image format posts. It seems wonky to me that the most recent image would
 be in the sidebar, relatively buried by choice, while the older image
 formatted posts are in the main stream, more prominent in this case.

 For my purposes, I want the main stream to be only the content formats
 that isn't relegated to the widgets. My longform posts are the highlight
 of the blog (as was before this patch, currently up at
 http://www.brandonkraft.com/), while my photoblog, random asides, etc are
 at /type/images, /type/asides, etc.

 If I wanted the format to be part of the main stream, I wouldn't have
 limited it to display only the most recent in the widget. Or, at least
 taking the original functionality more into account, the most recent image
 in the sidebar while older content of the same format is promoted in a
 higher place potentially.

 My final pitch. :-)

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25330#comment:10>