[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #26087: Twenty Fourteen: Making the featured content background in the slider more transparent.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 18 18:35:34 UTC 2013

#26087: Twenty Fourteen: Making the featured content background in the slider more
transparent.
---------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  RDall          |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  new

Old description:

> = Overview =
>
> One thing I test themes for is instead of using dummy content or even the
> theme unit test file is using actual relevant content.
>
> With Remembrance Day just past I did some test post with photos and text
> from that day of remembrance.
>
> Using real world examples gives us a good example to see how this would
> effect design decisions.
>
> = Issue =
>
> Slider-entry-header hides large amount of content in the photo. The
> nuance of this issue is it effects other photos highly but yet doesn't
> effect other photos at all.
>
> For example: This photo of wreaths. There is no issue with Slider-entry-
> header background as we can see the photo is a bunch of wreaths. There is
> no automatically awkward cropping of this photo. This would apply to food
> blog wide landscapes and such.
> http://cl.ly/image/1H011V2L2N0F
>
> The issue and the reason for this ticket is when you use a different
> style of photo commonly associated with magazine style site.
>
> See Screenshot!
> http://cl.ly/image/0a2X0R2I0r0j
>
> In this particular photo the legs are cut off other photos I have tried
> have differing results. See here a few here.
> http://test.robertdall.com/
>
> = The Solution =
>
> A little opacity on the background can go along way. Instead of try to
> find a photo to fit the confines of the box. We use a touch of opacity
> and keep the original crop of the photo intact.
>
> See Screenshot
>
> http://cl.ly/image/191G3l1T202n
>
> Also for photos that aren't adversely affected by the crop it doesn't
> effect them in the way they are view. A win win for the design in my book
> and has no impact on the grid layout or design. Win win in my book.

New description:

[...]

 A little opacity on the background can go a long way. Instead of trying to
 find a photo to fit the confines of the box, we use a touch of opacity and
 keep the original crop of the photo intact.

 See Screenshot

 http://cl.ly/image/191G3l1T202n

 Also for photos that aren't adversely affected by the crop it doesn't
 effect them in the way they are viewed. This also has no impact on the
 grid layout or design.

--

Comment (by SergeyBiryukov):

 Some edits per Robert's request.