[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #26087: Twenty Fourteen: Making the featured content background in the slider more transparent.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Nov 17 19:33:07 UTC 2013

#26087: Twenty Fourteen: Making the featured content background in the slider more
transparent.
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  RDall          |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |     Status:  new
Component:  Bundled Theme  |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal         |   Keywords:  has-patch
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 = Overview =

 One thing I test themes for is instead of using dummy content or even the
 theme unit test file is using actual relevant content.

 With Remembrance Day just past I did some test post with photos and text
 from that day of remembrance.

 Using real world examples gives us a good example to see how this would
 effect design decisions.

 = Issue =

 Slider-entry-header hides large amount of content in the photo. The nuance
 of this issue is it effects other photos highly but yet doesn't effect
 other photos at all.

 For example: This photo of wreaths. There is no issue with Slider-entry-
 header background as we can see the photo is a bunch of wreaths. There is
 no automatically awkward cropping of this photo. This would apply to food
 blog wide landscapes and such.
 http://cl.ly/image/1H011V2L2N0F

 The issue and the reason for this ticket is when you use a different style
 of photo commonly associated with magazine style site.

 See Screenshot!
 http://cl.ly/image/0a2X0R2I0r0j

 In this particular photo the legs are cut off other photos I have tried
 have differing results. See here a few here.
 http://test.robertdall.com/

 = The Solution =

 A little opacity on the background can go along way. Instead of try to
 find a photo to fit the confines of the box. We use a touch of opacity and
 keep the original crop of the photo intact.

 See Screenshot

 http://cl.ly/image/191G3l1T202n

 Also for photos that aren't adversely affected by the crop it doesn't
 effect them in the way they are view. A win win for the design in my book
 and has no impact on the grid layout or design. Win win in my book.