[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23572: Add functions to parse Audio / Video data out of arbitrary content or a post

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 28 17:27:51 UTC 2013

#23572: Add functions to parse Audio / Video data out of arbitrary content or a
post
 Reporter:  wonderboymusic                       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                          |  markjaquith

Comment (by greenshady):

 Replying to [comment:43 westi]:
 > Should we not wp_ prefix them all while we can?

 I actually wish we'd do that will all WordPress functions, but that's a
 different discussion.  I say we should definitely do that for these
 functions.

 Replying to [comment:44 johnjamesjacoby]:
 > Plugin authors have a responsibility to namespace their functions and
 classes, so as not to collide with the non-namespaced environment they run
 in.

 The name of the plugin is "Get the Image".  At the time I created the
 plugin, using `get_the_image` made a lot of sense.  If I had created the
 plugin today, I'd probably name it different.  Five years ago when the
 plugin was created, I didn't know about prefixing stuff.  It wasn't
 something that wasn't preached that much.

 Unfortunately, it's not something that can change in the plugin because
 the plugin code, specifically the `get_the_image()` call, requires theme
 integration.

 > Another cringe-worthy approach, is moving get_the_image() into
 pluggable.php, and Tadlock making sure there's feature parity between core
 and his plugin.

 One thing I didn't mention above is the the Get the Image plugin is
 included with many themes and is used on millions of Web sites in that
 manner.  Themes can't overwrite pluggable functions.

 It's also used on WordPress.com, which is problematic.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23572#comment:46>