[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24553: "{user} is currently editing" messages on post listing screen causes items on screen to move around

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jun 10 11:22:20 UTC 2013

#24553: "{user} is currently editing" messages on post listing screen causes items
on screen to move around
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  johnbillion     |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 A seemingly innocuous feature that could get very annoying for users.

 When a user is editing a post, the post listing screen displays a "{user}
 is currently editing" message below the post to other users.

 [[Image(http://i.imgur.com/trLry65.png)]]

 The appearance and disappearance of this message on each post (which
 happens periodically via Heartbeat) causes the table row height to change
 significantly.

 Imagine a site with several editors working simultaneously. The post
 listing screen can jump around enough that it can cause people to mis-
 click a link if one of the messages appears or disappears just as you go
 to click a link.

 I've already mis-clicked once and I'm only working on a test site with two
 dummy users. UI elements that cause other elements to move around when
 their state changes is bad.

 Not sure how we can address this. The message is a sizable UI element that
 we can't really reserve space for. Suggestions?