[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24700: Permission check prevents detection of 'direct' installation method for plugins

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jul 6 13:55:08 UTC 2013

#24700: Permission check prevents detection of 'direct' installation method for
plugins
 Reporter:  dennisjac     |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  3.5.2
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  has-patch
 I run a Wordpress installation where permissions are primarily handled
 using groups and not users. Unfortunately in order to determine whether
 the 'direct' plugin installation method can be used the code checks not
 only if the directory is writable but also if it has the same UID as the
 executing user. This restriction isn't necessary and actually prevents
 users unnecessarily from using the 'direct' method even though they should
 be able to.

 I attached a patch that fixes this issue. After applying the patch I can
 install plugins using the 'direct' method even when the folder doesn't
 belong to the apache user but write access is granted using group
 permissions.