[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23220: Extend autosave to use the browser's local storage in addition to saving to the server

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jan 19 09:03:39 UTC 2013

#23220: Extend autosave to use the browser's local storage in addition to saving to
the server
----------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz          |       Owner:
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  new
Changes (by F J Kaiser):

 * cc: 24-7@… (added)

Comment:

 As [http://caniuse.com/#search=webstorage a reference, here's the list of
 browsers] supporting {{{localStorage}}} (no idea how much support is there
 for {{{sessionStorage}}}). Doesn't look too bad, but it (the ticket) will
 have to get punted after having IE7 deprecated in #18199.

 Replying to [comment:3 azaozz]:
 > Yes, this article describes the current state of browser storage quite
 well. The "terrible performance" of localStorage is mostly when storing
 images or other binary files, however we will be storing text only so
 don't think this is a concern.

 That wouldn't be the only concern we should have. You can
 [http://arty.name/localstorage.html live test your browser here] to see
 the limit of the {{{localStorage}}} and how it differs between browsers. I
 guess this will be one of the main things where devs will hit an invisible
 wall that's hard to debug as long you don't know what exactly hit you.

 We know how the majority of wanna-be devs works. And cleaning things up,
 checking for errors and limits (memory) isn't an idea that's too wide
 spread. So it's not only about pushing files or images around, but also
 about moving really big JSON encoded strings like multiple page spanning
 tables (like in MS Excel) around. To make an example of what people use WP
 for, read [http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/38839/wordpress-
 as-a-web-app-always-auto-save-post-and-meta-data this example, I answered
 a year ago]. We have to consider the fact that ''lots'' of people use WP
 as base for really heavy tool Web APPs nowadays.

 What I like about this idea is the tactical approach behind it, already
 written in the title: "extend autosave (...) in addition to saving to the
 server". This will allow us to educate devs a little, before throwing this
 with the "too good to be true"-Heartbeat API (see #23216) at them. Is this
 enough? I don't know. The best would be to have it _deadsimple_ and
 3-function (get/set/dump) API wrapped around.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23220#comment:5>