[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23220: Extend autosave to use the browser's local storage in addition to saving to the server

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jan 18 08:47:43 UTC 2013

#23220: Extend autosave to use the browser's local storage in addition to saving to
the server
----------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz          |       Owner:
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  new

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23216#comment:18 F J
 Kaiser]:
 > I just read about this on [https://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/03/there-is-
 no-simple-solution-for-local-storage/ the Mozilla site] - article from May
 2012. Aside from the statement "terrible performance", I wonder which
 browsers support this. WP has always cared about a lot of browsers and I
 doubt that IE7 has a proper equivalent of {{{localStorage}}}.

 Yes, this article describes the current state of browser storage quite
 well. The "terrible performance" of localStorage is mostly when storing
 images or other binary files, however we will be storing text only so
 don't think this is a concern.

 That's right, [http://caniuse.com/#search=webstorage IE7 doesn't have
 localStorage] or any other type of browser storage. It is very near its
 EOL, we may stop supporting it even in 3.6 depending on the latest stats
 (see #18199).

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23220#comment:3>