[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23220: Extend autosave to use the browser's local storage in addition to saving to the server

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jan 16 22:33:43 UTC 2013

#23220: Extend autosave to use the browser's local storage in addition to saving to
the server
--------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz  |       Type:  task (blessed)
 There are several types of local (DOM) storage in the modern browsers.
 Most suitable is the `localStorage` as it's persistent and supported in
 all browsers back to IE8.

 The idea is to save the content in local storage every 10 seconds and push
 to the server every two minutes. When the server responds and there are no
 errors, we empty the local storage and start again. The local storage will
 also be emptied when the user saves the post. Then every time the user
 visits the admin we can check if the local storage is not empty and offer
 to recover from there or show a revision diff.