[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23203: Scheduling Posts assumes GMT but UI uses local timezone (creating undesired scheduled posts)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 15 15:32:10 UTC 2013

#23203: Scheduling Posts assumes GMT but UI uses local timezone (creating undesired
scheduled posts)
-----------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  bananastalktome  |       Type:  defect (bug)
 I experienced an odd behavior when going to edit a page on a newly created
 site in a multisite environment. The site uses the New York timezone
 (GMT-5).

 When quick-editing the page, I changed the title and slug, but pressing
 "Update" set the page as "Scheduled" rather than leaving it "Published".
 This was very confusing, and took a while to figure out and then explain
 to the end user. It seems that although the date/time is shown in the UI
 in the current time zone, once submitted the form interprets the time as
 if it were in GMT. To the end user, it looks like the page should be
 published since the time shows what we thought was a 5 minutes ago. In
 reality, the time in the date field is not recognized as 5 minute ago but
 4 hours and 55 minutes in the future.

 This is a problem in the full edit form for pages in this newly created
 site as well. When I go to edit the published time/date, the posted time
 in my timezone is shown. However, ''even if I hit 'Cancel' the "Update"
 button changes to "Schedule"''.