[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #26586: Multisite enhancement: Tool to update the parent theme across multiple sites

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 12 22:43:16 UTC 2013

#26586: Multisite enhancement: Tool to update the parent theme across multiple
sites
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  yurivictor   |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Changes (by nacin):

 * priority:  normal => low
 * severity:  normal => minor

Comment:

 It's not security, but rather, how this data is stored. And it's not an
 easy fix. 'stylesheet' and 'template' (parent) are both stored in the
 options table. If a theme changes states, the options table gets out of
 sync. We don't actually query style.css each pageload (doing so would be
 too much work), but we do on themes.php. I agree it would be nice if we
 detected and fixed this, but one of the issues is multisite doesn't
 actually know where a theme is active. It needs to look through every
 site.

 Ultimately, themes usually start with a parent or they don't, and they
 usually don't change parents, so this is pretty low of a priority to ever
 hit, I think. We could possibly make themes.php a bit smarter about
 ensuring template is updated if it detects that style.css has changed.
 (It'd also need to deal with stylesheet_root and template_root, for
 multiple theme roots.)

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/26586#comment:1>