[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25031: Twenty Fourteen: Make the content sidebar optional and expand the main content area when there is no widget specified for the sidebar.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 29 02:08:09 UTC 2013

#25031: Twenty Fourteen: Make the content sidebar optional and expand the main
content area when there is no widget specified for the sidebar.
-------------------------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  iamtakashi                           |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  new

Comment (by iamtakashi):

 This is what I imagine for the layout without the content sidebar.

 http://f.cl.ly/items/3R06090S2M0D0V3K1N2c/2014-no-sidebar.jpg

 I'd keep the text content width the same rather than expanding it because
 the text sizes and line length are core aspects of the design and the
 readability will suffer if we expand the size. We don't need to worry
 about varying `$content_width`. So, there would be extra margins both
 sides that allow users to move images and quotes with `alignleft` and
 `alignright` classes into them. I think this is better use of space in
 this context when a user wants to have a striking featured image rather
 than the sidebar.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25031#comment:14>