[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20279: Functions defined in wp-login.php should be moved to a separate file to make them re-usable

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Aug 27 13:06:47 UTC 2013

#20279: Functions defined in wp-login.php should be moved to a separate file to
make them re-usable
-------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  beaulebens   |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by nacin):

 Two general objections:
  * I think some of these functions are good as a separate file, while
 others are pretty intrinsic to the login skin/flow.
  * Some of these functions might not deserve to see the light of day, so
 to speak — we need to review them.

 I think we can overcome these.

 Here's the list of functions defined in wp-login.php that I think are
 intrinsic to wp-login.php and shouldn't leave that file for now:

 {{{
 function login_header($title = 'Log In', $message = '', $wp_error = '') {
 function login_footer($input_id = '') {
 function wp_shake_js() {
 function wp_attempt_focus(){
 }}}

 Here are the other four functions:
 {{{
 function retrieve_password() {
 function check_password_reset_key($key, $login) {
 function reset_password($user, $new_pass) {
 function register_new_user( $user_login, $user_email ) {
 }}}

 I gave a quick scan through all of them to ensure they were sane and were
 not specific to wp-login.php.

 I think check_password_reset_key(), reset_password(), and
 register_new_user() all meet those parameters. These are under 90 lines of
 code (including documentation) and, I think, belong in user.php.

 I think retrieve_password() may be too tied to the wp-login.php process to
 be immediately extracted. Other opinions?

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20279#comment:9>