[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25143: Appending registered query vars to home URL sets is_home to true when should be false

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Aug 26 04:32:47 UTC 2013

#25143: Appending registered query vars to home URL sets is_home to true when
should be false
 Reporter:  mordauk                   |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)              |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by johnjamesjacoby):

 Replying to [comment:4 dd32]:
 > I would argue the current behaviour is expected at present, and is very
 close to the before mentioned duplicates.

 > Replying to [comment:3 johnjamesjacoby]:
 > > This looks like a separate (and legitimate) bug to me. Setting a page
 as home should never result in the blog index appearing in its place.

 > And the blog index isn't showing on the front page, The blog posts are
 showing on `/?foo=custom`, which is not the front page.

 > WordPress currently has no differentiation between a query var "which
 affects the current page" and one which "modifies the query", it assumes
 that all query vars will modify the query, which results in `/?foo=custom`
 not being equal to`/?` just the same that `/?p=123` is not the same as
 `/?`.

 > If we had some way of detecting "This query var will not affect the
 query" then showing the front page on `/?foo=custom` would be appropriate.
 Sounds like the current behavior is out of alignment with the safe
 assumption of how it should work, regardless of our expectations. It
 should at least 404 instead and not show the is_home results when the user
 is not viewing the blog river.

 The output shouldn't change just because a plugin added a variable to
 query_vars.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25143#comment:6>