[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16276: Default value for search field - (#11420 Easy within-site linking from new content)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 15 23:43:41 UTC 2013

#16276: Default value for search field - (#11420 Easy within-site linking from new
content)
--------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  jamie.richard       |       Owner:  helen
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by bradyvercher):

 * cc: brady@… (added)
 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  fixed =>

Comment:

 I have a plugin that incorporates functionality similar to this and heard
 complaints about auto-searching being slow (a few seconds) when a site has
 a lot of content. I see a couple of issues with this:

 1. HTML isn't stripped from the search term when the modal is opened in
 HTML mode. Try placing a link around a string with an >em< tag in
 it.

 2. For anyone encountering slowness, the experience here is suboptimal.
 They can't realistically disable the auto-search without closing the
 search panel after selecting a result before clicking the "Add Link"
 button. Otherwise, the auto-search fires next time a link is added to any
 post since the panel state is remembered. Are we really going to ask them
 to do that? (I had to incorporate a setting in my plugin and don't think
 core wants to go that far.)

 3. By following the previous step (close panel before adding the link), if
 a second link is inserted into a post, the search term stays the same.
 That's the current behavior and no big deal, but it feels weird when
 toggling the panel to have the previous term remain.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16276#comment:19>