[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22049: Reading settings let users choose between "Full text" or "Summary" for the feeds but not for the blog page

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Sep 30 21:15:15 UTC 2012

#22049: Reading settings let users choose between "Full text" or "Summary" for the
feeds but not for the blog page
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  Lorangeo     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by Lorangeo):

 If you have a quick look at the ''"reading settings'''  page (Settings >
 Reading) you'll see that there is an option to show "full text" or
 "summary" for the posts listed in '''RSS feeds'''. And this is soooo
 simple! It would seem quite logical and obvious to expect the same option
 in this page  for the posts listed in '''blog pages''' (@alex: "blog
 pages" is the term used by WP itself). And I'm saying this especially
 because I'm sure there are a lot more people who care about their blog
 page look and feel than people who care about their RSS feeds output.

 However there isn't such a simple option for the blog pages. And this
 really doesn't make sense in a UI perpective.

 If you put yourself in the shoes of a Wordpress beginner and look at this
 page you would not understand why this option is avalaible for the feeds
 and not for the blog page. This could only leads to frustration and a lot
 of unnecessary support questions (google it!) for something that should
 actually be very easy to do.

 My suggestion is only to add a simple checkbox that would rely on
 '''current''' existing core features. This would make things a lot more
 easier for begginers (summary or full text with a single click). At the
 same time it would still allow theme developers to decide if they want to
 support teasers ("the_content" tag) or excerpts ("the_excerpt" tag) in
 their post template. Moreover it would still allow advanced users to
 insert more tags where they want (if their theme use the "the_content"
 tag) or set their own manual excerpts (if their theme use the
 "the_excerpt" tag).

 In other words this simple suggestion would not change anything at all. It
 would only offer a better and easier option for beginners whithout asking
 them to understand things that even advanced Wordpress users don't
 understand (relation between teasers, manual excerpts, automatic excerpts
 and the different ways that themes handle these features (content_tag or
 excerpt_tag)). It would leave these things "behind the curtain" (can we
 say that?) for more advanced users while still allowing beginners to
 easily set up their blog front page.

 This seems so obvious to me and such a basic feature that I would consider
 it an enhancement of major importance, really.

 Sorry for my limited English. I hope you understand me.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22049#comment:3>