[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18302: Improve child theme file inheritance by introducing `theme_url()` to locate a file URI

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Sep 26 21:22:53 UTC 2012

#18302: Improve child theme file inheritance by introducing `theme_url()` to locate
a file URI
 Reporter:  johnbillion                          |       Owner:  westi
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  reviewing
Changes (by nacin):

 * milestone:  3.5 => Future Release

Comment:

 I think this is one of those situations where it is so close but we don't
 have it. The feature doesn't quite know what it wants to do, what it is
 supposed to do, or where it should be used. From IRC:

  * "my original use case was for overriding images and JS in a child
 theme, but i can see that it could potentially introduce bad practices in
 child themes" (johnbillion)
  * "I'm currently in punt because it keeps getting more weird and awkward"
 (westi)
  * "I think the original idea was great, but it just seems to open the
 door for too much strange/bad practice" (westi)
  * "I'm ok with punting, i use my own version of the function in my own
 themes anyway" (johnbillion)

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18302#comment:56>