[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21764: Twenty Twelve Blockquotes have no bottom margin — touch paragraphs below them

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Sep 1 07:42:35 UTC 2012

#21764: Twenty Twelve Blockquotes have no bottom margin — touch paragraphs below
them
 Reporter:  markjaquith   |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Themes        |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
 In Twenty Twelve, blockquotes have no bottom margin. Any content below
 them gets an unrequested lap dance.

 I've applied a background color to blockquotes to illustrate the problem:

 [[Image(http://cl.ly/image/3x3Z1T130y2p/Screen%20Shot%202012-09-01%20at%203.33.37%20AM.png)]]

 You don't see the issue without giving the blockquote a background color
 because the margin-bottom of the last paragraph in the blockquote provides
 the appropriate spacing. But as soon as blockquotes have any sort of
 background styling or a border, the odd spacing will manifest.

 This is what I'm using in my child theme to fix it.

 {{{
 article .entry-content blockquote {
         margin-bottom: 24px;
 }

 article .entry-content blockquote p:last-child {
         margin-bottom: 0;
 }
 }}}

 Normally p has a margin-bottom of 24. This gives that to the blockquote,
 and takes it away from the last paragraph in a blockquote (if that
 paragraph is the last child element of the blockquote).