[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16373: Wrong page loaded requesting custom registered query_vars when correcting is_* for page_on_front requests

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 30 15:06:14 UTC 2012

#16373: Wrong page loaded requesting custom registered query_vars when correcting
is_* for page_on_front requests
 Reporter:  jondavis                             |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |  markjaquith
  tests                                          |  Resolution:

Comment (by jondavis):

 It seems to me that creating a formal API for this situation is a bit
 overkill. Seems by designthat query vars shouldn't be used as a registry
 for plugins/themes to use as custom query string arguments. My own
 confusion on the issue was in my rush to move to doing things the
 "WordPress way" I was attempting to use the query vars as a whitelist of
 registered `$_GET` variables unnecessarily.

 That said, there may be edge-cases I (or apparently anyone else) are not
 aware of where plugins/themes do need to use registered query vars but
 still expect to get `page_on_front`. I can't even imagine why that might
 be. In any event, for that use case I submitted
 `test_page_on_front_query_var.diff​` as a use case to test against should
 the powers-that-be decide it is a worthwhile design consideration.

 Given my new understanding of the design intent, I will be changing our
 plugin code to just use `$_GET` variables and ensure proper input
 sanitization is occuring.

 As an action item, perhaps the result from this ticket is to update the
 codex to explicitly direct developers in the proper/expected/intended use-
 case strictly for modifying the `WP_Query`, and avoid any possible
 misunderstanding that `WP_Query` query vars should not be used for general
 purpose `QUERY_STRING` "query vars".

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16373#comment:8>