[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22080: add_theme_support should merge post-thumbnail post types by default (currently stomps)

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Oct 2 19:45:00 UTC 2012

#22080: add_theme_support should merge post-thumbnail post types by default
(currently stomps)
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  alexkingorg      |       Type:  defect (bug)
 As documented in the Codex:

 http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/add_theme_support#Post_Thumbnails

 you can pass a second param to `add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' )` to
 specify the post types you want support enabled for. I expected any post
 types I passed in to be added to the currently specified post types,
 instead the passed value stomps the existing value. This means that if you
 create plugin that registers a post type and enables post-thumbnails for
 it, you need to write code like this:

 https://gist.github.com/3822786

 instead of a simple:

 `add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails', array( 'my-new-post-type' ) );`

 The latter makes more sense to me, and I think it's likely other devs
 might make the same mistake and accidentally stomp on the previous value
 for post-thumbnails.

 The attached patch enables a merge or stomp behavior for post-thumbnails.
 It defaults to "merge". Passing a `bool true` as a 3rd param will cause
 the second param to replace the existing value (current behavior).