[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20647: get_post_type() returns nothing on custom post type archive pages with custom query and no results

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed May 9 22:32:23 UTC 2012

#20647: get_post_type() returns nothing on custom post type archive pages with
custom query and no results
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  MikevHoenselaar  |       Owner:  MikevHoenselaar
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  closed

Comment (by MikevHoenselaar):

 I expected that get_post_type() would give me the post_type of the query I
 did. It's post only. If the main_query on the archive page isn't returning
 anything get_post_type() isn't useful now. But it can be useful to get a
 post_type.
 So you are saying that Yoast will have to edit his plugin and use a
 !empty($post_type) after using get_post_type()?

 I know that you can have your own if, then, elses in your plugin. And
 probably Yoast shouldn't take for granted that there always is a
 $post_type returned from get_post_type().
 But I believe get_post_type can be better :-).

 Adding this will make sure that I always will get a post_type if there is
 one.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20647#comment:4>