[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20601: Author archives queries should return a 404 when the user isn't a member of the blog

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed May 2 11:50:33 UTC 2012

#20601: Author archives queries should return a 404 when the user isn't a member of
the blog
 Reporter:  yoavf         |       Owner:
Changes (by nacin):

 * keywords:  has-patch => needs-patch

Comment:

 If an author has posts on a blog, but is not assigned to the blog, this
 patch would break their author page.

 Often, you will see "retired" author accounts being set to the Subscriber
 role. But in multisite or with a shared user table, the concept of
 Subscriber is analogous to simply being a user in the table. (Indeed,
 there has never been a Subscriber role on WP.com.)

 I think we need to hook in and consider this a 404 only if no posts get
 returned. Sounds like something that could be handled in WP::handle_404()
 rather than in WP_Query.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20601#comment:3>