[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20330: Differences between creating folders for plugins and uploaded media (problem with safe_mode)

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Mar 30 10:27:56 UTC 2012

#20330: Differences between creating folders for plugins and uploaded media
(problem with safe_mode)
 Reporter:  pavelevap     |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Upload        |    Version:  3.3.1
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
 After installing 3.2.1 (into subdirectory test) there is missing URL path
 in menu Media - Store uploads in this folder. But nevermind, I am not sure
 if this is a bug or expected?

 I tried to update Akismet automatically, no problem (only FTP credentials
 required). I tried to install new plugin automatically, also no problem.

 Directories are created, plugins installed. But when I try to upload some
 media files, there is following error:

 {{{
 "Testing-picture-50g.jpg" has failed to upload due to an error
 The uploaded file could not be moved to
 /data/www/h/domain.cz/public_html/test/wp-content/uploads.
 }}}

 When I look at "uploads" directory - there is CHMOD 775, but I "Cannot
 change attributes of remote files!"
 When I delete this folder and create it manually, then everything works.
 But it is not possible to organize media into month- and year-based
 folders, because they are not working when created automatically by
 WordPress.

 And I suppose there is some kind of problem in the way how creating
 folders for uploading media works. Yes, hosting is limited with safe_mode,
 but why creating folders and installing plugins works without problem and
 creating folders for uploaded media does not work?

 We had several reports from different users about problems with uploading
 media and this is the only clue I could find. Maybe there is something
 which was fixed for updating processes, but not for uploading media
 (especially for creating directories). Any idea?

 Also automatic upgrade to WP 3.3.1 works well. But in 3.3.1 there is
 probably a bug, because picture is not uploaded, but there is no Error
 reported (as in 3.2.1). It looks like media file is uploaded, but only
 media post is created and file is not uploaded (there is no thumbnail
 (only icon of missing picture). I suppose, that users should be notified
 what is going on here?

 Summary in the end:

 1) In WP 3.3.1 there is no error for users after unsuccessfull media
 upload and there should be (regression from 3.2.1).

 2) There are different ways to create folders for updating/installing
 plugins and creating folders for media uploads and the second way does not
 work when safe_mode is on.