[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #7294: Minor changes checkbox for post revisions / possible new table for revisions

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Jun 6 17:22:05 UTC 2012

#7294: Minor changes checkbox for post revisions / possible new table for
revisions
-----------------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  lilyfan                      |       Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  enhancement                  |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by FolioVision):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  wontfix =>
 * component:  Administration => Performance
 * severity:  normal => major

Comment:

 Hello Sergey,

 I changed the version to 3.3.1 to indicate that this is still a problem
 with the latest versions of Wordpress.

 We are limiting the number of revision to 10, but deleting revisions older
 than month decreased the size of our database by 30% or so and also
 improved the performance. There are plugins to handle this, but what if we
 want to keep the revision somewhere? Why can't this just be fixed in core?

 Hello ryan,

 could you please share a bit of what you learned on wordpress.com in 4
 years?

 Perhaps just storing the revisions elsewhere would not help the Wordpress
 performance and scalability so much. What other possibilities are being
 considered? How can the database structure be improved for speed on big
 sites?

 Thanks,
 Martin

--