[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20846: Multisite: Network Users can post comments without being members of the site

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Jun 5 15:56:18 UTC 2012

#20846: Multisite: Network Users can post comments without being members of the
site
 Reporter:  Ipstenu       |       Owner:

Comment (by Ipstenu):

 Replying to [comment:2 nacin]:
 > This is how MU functioned. I dunno. You're logged in. It'll say you're
 logged in (assuming you have cookies issued). This is often going to be
 expected behavior. Sounds like a filter, at most, to me.

 Then we should change the language to explain that restricting comments to
 logged in users means network users, and not per site. Right now, it's
 "Users must be registered and logged in to comment"

 Replying to [comment:4 helenyhou]:
 > Is there actually a way for an end user to join a network site if
 already registered on the network? If not, seems like that would need
 changing first, or else this would become extremely frustrating. "Register
 to comment! Oh no wait, you can't sign up, your email address is already
 in use."

 Not without a plugin, at this time.

 If we were going to change the code to be you have to be a member of the
 site, then it shouldn't behave 100% like a logged out user. Having a way
 to 'join' a site would be very nice to build in as an option. Multisite
 locks 'registration' down to the network admin, though. If I turn off
 signups, no site has them. So it would have to be a per-site option 'allow
 registered network users to join your site...'

 And now we've added layers on layers ;)

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20846#comment:5>