[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20052: Support sprites for admin menu icons in register_post_type and add_menu_page

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Jul 27 15:44:21 UTC 2012

#20052: Support sprites for admin menu icons in register_post_type and
add_menu_page
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  helenyhou       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by bradyvercher):

 I gotcha and see what you're doing now regarding backwards compatibility.
 The thing is that most of those changes to the existing code are
 unnecessary and the back-compat check in `admin_head` can be removed. All
 the patch really needs to be concerned with (in this instance, regarding
 post types) is whether or not '`menu_icon`' is an array, and if so,
 generate the CSS to overload the current styles. Just my thoughts on the
 current approach.

 A couple of other things I noticed:

 * The '`background_size`' argument shouldn't ever really be necessary for
 the regular icon.
 * Selectors need to be added for the current/active state for both sizes
 (when the menu item is selected --  .wp-has-current-submenu).
 * I think `explode()` would be preferred to `preg_split()`.
 * You can probably continue if the '2x' array isn't set.
 * Maybe I'm being dense here, but I can't imagine a scenario when
 '`background_size`' wouldn't be required for retina support, so maybe
 continue if that isn't set, too?
 * The logical comparisons should be switched according to the coding
 standards: `if ( 2 == count( $xy ) )`

 Aside from that, it looks like some of the selectors being output in the
 head could potentially have a bunch of whitespace if optional arguments
 aren't defined and some of them may not even have any rules.

 I don't mean to be overly nitpicky, it looks like a good start, this is
 just something I'd definitely like to use in the future instead of the
 current method!

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20052#comment:35>