[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21338: Add the names of Widgets to the Add and Edit buttons on the Accessible Widget Management Screen

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Jul 21 20:05:39 UTC 2012

#21338: Add the names of Widgets to the Add and Edit buttons on the Accessible
Widget Management Screen
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  cannona        |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement    |     Status:  new
Component:  Accessibility  |    Version:  3.4.1
 Severity:  normal         |   Keywords:
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 When a screen reader user has accessibility mode turned on on the widget
 management screen, the add and edit  buttons are ambiguous.  The problem
 is that it is not obvious what widget each button is associated with.

 For example, on my Widgets page, I hear:

 {{{
 Add

 Heading Level 4 Custom Menu
 Use this widget to add one of your custom menus as a widget.
 Add

 Heading Level 4 Google Analytics Stats
 Displays Stat Info From Google Analytics
 Add

 Heading Level 4 Links
 Your blogroll
 Add

 Heading Level 4 Meta
 Log in/out, admin, feed and WordPress links
 }}}

 Note that the line-breaks weren't inserted by me.  My screen reader
 inserts them when it detects a division of some sort, usually the start of
 a new paragraph, or similar.

 The ideal solution would be to change the add and edit links to have the
 name of the effected widget appended to them.  So, instead of just "Add"
 it might read "Add Links".

 If it was undesirable to do this for visual design reasons, the appended
 text could be shown to screen reader users only, using the existing CSS
 classes for this purpose.  However, including such clarifying text could
 only improve usability for everyone (IMHO).