[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21140: "Display name publicly as" setting not set until a change is made in the setting

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jul 2 21:29:49 UTC 2012

#21140: "Display name publicly as" setting not set until a change is made in the
setting
 Reporter:  nickharambee  |      Owner:  nickharambee
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Users         |    Version:  3.4
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  needs-testing
 I have found this issue with several users that I have set up on my site.
 The default value for "Display name publicly as" is the first name of the
 user when creating a new user, or at least that is what shows in the
 "Display name publicly as" drop-down menu.  However, when creating a new
 user, the full name, i.e. the first and last name is what displays
 publicly.  In order to get only the first name to display publicly I need
 to set the "Display name publicly as" option to another option, save
 changes, and then reset it to just the first name, and save changes again.

 Surely, if it is the first name that shows in the drop-down menu, it
 should be the first name that actually displays publicly, without having
 to go through this rather strange process?

 I am using the latest version of Buddypress (1.5.6) as well as several
 other plugins.  I have not tried disabling all of these.