[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23060: WordPress Does Not Return Error 404 When Permalink Structure is Set to Default ?p=123

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Dec 26 20:54:56 UTC 2012

#23060: WordPress Does Not Return Error 404 When Permalink Structure is Set to
Default ?p=123
----------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  onetarek                    |       Type:  defect (bug)
 Suddenly I discovered that my blog is not returning error 404 page. My
 blog permalink is set as default style http://test.onetarek.com/?p=123
 Now I am trying to create 404 error by using this url
 http://test.onetarek.com/adsfjkasjdd , it showing home page. Then I tested
 http://test.onetarek.com/?p=123654 now it shows 404 page.
 Then I tried to load a not existing image http://test.onetarek.com/wp-
 content/themes/twentyeleven/images/headers/not-image.jpg it shows my home
 page instead of 404 page.
 I changed my permalink settings to "Day and name" then it show 404 page.

 I tested this problem in my another blog, this blog is return 404 page but
 that is not generated by wordpress. Wordpress 404 theme page is not being
 loaded. A blank page is being loaded with a message by Apache Server
 "Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
 an ErrorDocument to handle the request...."

 So what is the problem with permalink settings and 404 page.