[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22837: WP Needs to Set "Sender" and "Reply-To" or DKIM/DMARC will not work using wp-mail (via PHPMailer)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Dec 9 19:52:57 UTC 2012

#22837: WP Needs to Set "Sender" and "Reply-To" or DKIM/DMARC will not work using
wp-mail (via PHPMailer)
 Reporter:  kellogg9      |       Owner:
Changes (by scribu):

 * severity:  critical => normal

Old description:

> I notice that for DKIM to function (while using DMARC) correctly for
> outgoing mail the PHPMailer object needs to make sure the Sender and
> Reply-To fields match the "From" field otherwise the "Return-Path" header
> uses the server it is sending from causing a mismatch.  When this happens
> DKIM fails authentication on the receiver side because it is not added to
> outgoing mail.
>
> I tried adding the reply-to and sender header manually to wp_mail() but
> it did not work.  One had to do the following:
>
> Right now i have to manually modify the /wp-includes/pluggable.php file
> in the wp_mail() function to include:
>
>         if (strlen($phpmailer->Sender)==0)
>         {
>                 $phpmailer->Sender = $phpmailer->From;
>                 $phpmailer->AddReplyTo($phpmailer->From);
>         }
>
> This resolves the problem and DKIM works again.

New description:

 I notice that for DKIM to function (while using DMARC) correctly for
 outgoing mail the PHPMailer object needs to make sure the Sender and
 Reply-To fields match the "From" field otherwise the "Return-Path" header
 uses the server it is sending from causing a mismatch.  When this happens
 DKIM fails authentication on the receiver side because it is not added to
 outgoing mail.

 I tried adding the reply-to and sender header manually to wp_mail() but it
 did not work.  One had to do the following:

 Right now i have to manually modify the /wp-includes/pluggable.php file in
 the wp_mail() function to include:

 {{{
         if (strlen($phpmailer->Sender)==0)
         {
                 $phpmailer->Sender = $phpmailer->From;
                 $phpmailer->AddReplyTo($phpmailer->From);
         }
 }}}

 This resolves the problem and DKIM works again.

 Note that functions in pluggable.php are called pluggable because you can
 re-define them in a plugin, so that you don't have to hack Core.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22837#comment:1>