[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22770: Tweak Browse Happy so it doesn't jump the gun with out-of-date browser messages

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 6 01:37:56 UTC 2012

#22770: Tweak Browse Happy so it doesn't jump the gun with out-of-date browser
messages
--------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  avcascade           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  new

Comment (by nacin):

 > Similarly, Microsoft has not yet released Internet Explorer 10 for
 Windows 7, so it is not appropriate to tell users of IE9 that their
 browser is out of date. IE10 is available for Windows 7, but only as a
 release preview - similar to a WordPress release candidate. We wouldn't
 prompt users to upgrade their production WordPress installations to a
 release candidate, so why is Browse Happy telling Windows 7 IE users to
 upgrade to IE10 when the final version of IE10 has yet to be released?

 Yeah, as of a week ago it stopped recommending that IE9 users upgrade for
 this reason. (I missed that IE10 for Windows 7 was only a release
 preview.)

 > Users receive notifications from their operating system prompting them
 to upgrade when new versions of the browser are available.

 What's the latest version of Chromium available for your system? The
 latest version of Chromium is 25. The latest version of ''Chrome'' is only
 23. And Browse Happy is currently checking that they are > 18 (though it
 was briefly checking 23 last week).

 > It makes no sense to show a Chromium user a "your browser is out of
 date" message when their browser is, in fact, up to date - as provided by
 their distribution.

 Why? It's out of date. If Debian ships PHP 5.2, are you up to date as
 provided by your distribution? Or are you just out of date?

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22770#comment:2>