[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22768: EXIF/IPTC captions should populate caption/post_excerpt on upload, not description/post_content

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 6 00:24:40 UTC 2012

#22768: EXIF/IPTC captions should populate caption/post_excerpt on upload, not
description/post_content
 Reporter:  nacin           |       Type:  enhancement
 It's been this way forever, but it is dumping data into the wrong field.
 Two schools of thought on this:

  * Plugins have used the description field, so we should not change this.

  * Users continue to struggle with moving *captions* from the description
 field to the caption field, so we should change this.

 I am in the latter school of thought. A plugin can remain compatible by
 ensuring it checks either description or caption before falling back to
 the other.