[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19233: When using CSS Background Gradients in the Admin UI, begin to use IE Filters to mimic in IE (7, 8, 9)

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Aug 12 01:57:23 UTC 2012

#19233: When using CSS Background Gradients in the Admin UI, begin to use IE
Filters to mimic in IE (7, 8, 9)
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  georgestephanis  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  new

Comment (by helenyhou):

 Replying to [comment:7 emiluzelac]:
 > Anyways, things don't add up here, "we" want to avoid stylesheet
 bloating and "switch" over to new syntax and standard-compliant browsers
 by removing only what's IE related, correct?

 I looked into this some more - I thought IE9 was using the -ms- prefix but
 apparently uses the filters instead. It is the current, but won't be as of
 the anticipated release date of 3.5. However, because of their upgrade
 path, I have the same conflicted feeling as azaozz. I'm not always
 correct, hence only the suggested close from me :)

 [[BR]]

 > So does this mean that we can safely remove support for older versions
 of Safari, Chrome and Opera as well?

 We discussed why we have to keep the old -webkit- syntax in IRC
 (basically, Kindle Fire, since it's a targeted device):
 https://irclogs.wordpress.org/chanlog.php?channel=wordpress-
 dev&day=2012-07-31&sort=asc#m430274 . Do you see something else that
 should be removed after [21459]?

 [[BR]]

 > Please think about it just for a sec :)

 I think about it plenty, thanks. No need for that kind of commentary. :)

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/19233#comment:8>