[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21539: category_description filter not applied to Description field on Categories page

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Aug 10 13:53:04 UTC 2012

#21539: category_description filter not applied to Description field on Categories
page
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  StephenCronin   |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |     Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |    Version:  3.4.1
 Severity:  minor           |   Keywords:  needs-patch
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 The category_description filter is not applied to the Description field on
 the Posts > Categories page (wp-admin/edit-tags.php?taxonomy=category).

 Need: I use very long category descriptions, which are displayed on the
 front end of the site. This means that the Posts > Categories page is
 blown out by the long descriptions. I wrote a plugin to filter the
 category_description to limit it's length in the admin area. However, I
 then discovered that the filter is not applied on this page.

 I'm wondering if there is some reason this was left out by design, but I
 can't see any reason why the filter should not be applied at this point.
 If I've missed something, please let me know.

 It is easy to fix - simply apply the category_description filter to the
 description field in column_description() in wp-admin/includes/class-wp-
 terms-list-table.php

 I have applied this on my local install. Now I just need to work out how
 to create a patch and submit it for review (this is my first attempt).

 Note: It may be sensible to limit the length of the category description
 displayed on this page, but that's outside the scope of this ticket, which
 is just about the filter not being applied.