[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18515: UX: better management of workflow in editor (joe is currently editing this post, etc.)

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Sep 27 18:58:24 UTC 2011

#18515: UX: better management of workflow in editor (joe is currently editing this
post, etc.)
------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz                  |       Owner:  jayminkapish
     Type:  enhancement             |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:15 nacin]:
 > ... Unfortunately, I found (on Chrome, at least) that you can't fire an
 async XHR call on the unload event and expect it to go through, so hanging
 the script isn't really an option.

 Yes, also if the user quits the browser the XHR may not be fired.

 Looking through 18515.diff there's still a possibility to have collision
 when the user reloads the edit-post page. The post meta is updated with
 the XHR and just few milliseconds later `wp_set_post_lock()` is called as
 the page is loaded again. The XHR always calls update_meta and loading a
 post always calls set_post_lock. We need to think of a better way.

 Also perhaps we can make the lock expiration faster. No need to wait 4 min
 (AUTOSAVE_INTERVAL * 2), maybe AUTOSAVE_INTERVAL + 10 would be good.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18515#comment:16>