[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19383: Hide post formats next to post titles if the active blog theme does not support post formats

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Nov 28 22:45:42 UTC 2011

#19383: Hide post formats next to post titles if the active blog theme does not
support post formats
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  philiparthurmoore  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new
Changes (by DrewAPicture):

 * cc: xoodrew@… (added)

Comment:

 Replying to [ticket:19383 philiparthurmoore]:
 > * Showing a post format next to a title while a theme that doesn't
 support post formats is active is confusing. "Why does my post have the
 word Image/Link/Status/Quote by it? What does that mean?"
 > * There is no way to edit or remove a post format associated with a post
 when a theme that does not support post formats is active, so the labels
 are useless.

 At the very least, there should be helper text in the Help tabs to explain
 what Post Formats are for the uninitiated. We shouldn't be assuming that
 users know anything about this feature out of the gate.

 Replying to [comment:3 nacin]:
 > This is by design.
 >
 > The format is dictated by the content, not by the theme. As these
 formats are fixed and portable, a subsequent theme switch could provide
 for an additional format to be supported.

 It seems like we're basing an awful lot on assumptions here.

 Look at this from a User POV:
 * Your theme doesn't support Post Formats
 * You're seeing these labels on the Manage Posts screen and literally have
 no way to '''A)''' Know what their significance is and '''B)'''
 Edit/Remove them in any way.

 > When editing a post of an unsupported format, you're able to keep that
 existing format. If anything, you should be able to choose any format,
 separated into a supported list and an unsupported one.

 Again, you're assuming these users
 * Already know what Post Formats are
 * Have a theme that supports them
 * Have a metabox on the editing screen
 * Know how to use them

 Until Post Formats are more widely adopted by theme authors, we should be
 assuming that users '''''don't''''' know what they are and how they work.
 So displaying labels that go with an unsupported feature seems counter-
 productive and apt to cause confusion. I'll reiterate the need for helper
 text in the Help tabs concerning Post Formats.

 Sorry, long reply.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/19383#comment:4>