[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19313: improved file system install method detection - allow direct install if user or group permissions match

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Nov 21 13:23:18 UTC 2011

#19313: improved file system install method detection - allow direct install if
user or group permissions match
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  neosource        |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |    Version:  3.2.1
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:  has-patch
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 The reason I made this patch was because all versions of WordPress that
 I've installed on my local debian server fail to automatically use the
 direct file system method.

 The permissions structure of my server allows group write access to the
 web folders. The current method only does a single myuid() check. I've
 expanded this to check for groupid and also included the posix methods.

 It saves having to modify the wp-config with FS_METHOD to allow
 plugins/themes to be installed more easily.

 I hope this helps make plugin/theme installations easier on similarly
 configured web hosts, without having to bother with FTP install etc.