[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19278: Allow WP_List_Table ::get_bulk_items() to receive a nested array and output optgroups

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Nov 17 17:25:38 UTC 2011

#19278: Allow WP_List_Table ::get_bulk_items() to receive a nested array and output
optgroups
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  goldenapples     |      Owner:
     Type:  feature request  |     Status:  new
Component:  General          |    Version:
 Severity:  minor            |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 I'm just putting this out there as a possible enhancement to the
 WP_List_Table... would like feedback as to whether anyone else would find
 it helpful. If so, I'm more than happy to write up a patch for this.

 I think it may be useful to be able to pass a nested array to
 `WP_List_Table::get_bulk_actions()` and have it output the options within
 the subarray in an `<optgroup>`. My specific use case is in applying meta
 fields to a custom table. I would like to be able to define something like
 this in my `get_bulk_items` function:

 {{{

 function get_bulk_actions() {
         $actions = array(
                 'delete' => 'Delete',
                 'outofstock' => 'Mark out of stock',
                 'applytags' => array(
                         'label' => 'Apply tags to products',
                         'actions' => array(
                                 'featured' => 'Featured',
                                 'sale' => 'On Sale'
                                 )
                         )
                 );
         return $actions;
 }

 }}}

 and have the output look something like this:

 {{{
 <select name="action">
         <option value='-1' selected='selected'>Bulk Actions</option>

         <option value='delete'>Delete</option>
         <option value='outofstock'>Mark out of stock</option>
         <optgroup label="Apply tags to products">
                 <option value='feature'>Featured</option>
                 <option value='sale'>On sale</option>
         </optgroup>
 </select>

 }}}

 A very minor feature, and possibly too fringe of a use case to bother
 with. But I've worked on a couple projects now where being able to specify
 markup like that would have made that screen more user-friendly. Any
 thoughts?