[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16860: map_meta_cap use "manage_network_users" instead of is_super_admin for edit_users

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Mar 15 18:45:08 UTC 2011

#16860: map_meta_cap use "manage_network_users"  instead of is_super_admin for
edit_users
 Reporter:  sboisvert    |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Users        |    Version:
 Severity:  minor        |   Keywords:  needs-patch
 I find that for a multi-site setup, the ability to edit users is
 inconsistent. there is a capability called "manage_network_users", but
 this cap if given to "regular" admin's does not give them the power to
 edit users.
 The current code in map_meta_cap  in wp-includes/capabilities.php is:
 {{{
 case 'edit_users':
         // If multisite these caps are allowed only for super admins.
         if ( is_multisite() && !is_super_admin( $user_id ) )
                 $caps[] = 'do_not_allow';
 }}}
 removing any flexibility, I would suggest having this based on the
 "manage_network_users" capability, giving us much more flexibility in
 terms of assigning power to control user administration.